Saturday, June 28, 2008

On the Future

It has been blissfully slow here at work. That leaves me with time to sit and think. Of course there is a lot to think about, my wife's being sick, her pregnancy, our unborn son, our planned trip to Disneyland. Inevitably I think about taking back Avi, about how to help him and what his future holds. Debbie and I were talking about what he'll be able to do and what he might not be able to do. Thinking about it tonight I decided something. There is nothing, absolutely nothing that he can not do. He can do anything he wants to do. He was born only 2 pounds 14 oz. His body was too small and immature to breathe, yet only a few hours later there he was breathing doing just that, fighting from the first. He was too small to eat but before anyone expected his feeding tube was removed. There was more fight in his tiny little body than in most men. Before anyone expected he was home and his fight continued. He learned to hold his head up, sit up, turn over, crawl, walk, feed himself and now to communicate despite every challenge. His fight continues and I believe he will continue to defy all the odds and challenges that face him. He is a brave boy, advancing and fighting against something he doesn't even understand yet. While I was talking to a friend, she mentioned her brother, who has autism didn't know it. He asked his mother and she told him. I hope Avi will not know, that when he learns it will be only a diagnosis, not an excuse. His is a strength greater than most and I hope he does not lose that. I know I'm a proud father, one of those obnoxious men who thinks their kid is the cutest and smartest no matter what, but it's true; Avi is amazing. I feel very lucky to have a little boy like him.

Brace yourselves, in September I'm going to by twice as obnoxious! When our son Itai is born I'll have two little boys to brag about, dote upon and love.

No comments: